The 84th annual Academy Awards are just around the corner, but you still have time to throw together the perfect Oscar party. With a few festive touches, you can host a red carpet-style event right at home. No matter who wins or loses, what everyone remembers at the end of the night is a good party.
1. Send out invitations if you haven’t already. (It’s okay to do it now — e-vites are quick and easy to send.) Invitations can help set the tone of the party, and make the night feel more festive. In fact, you can go here for official Oscar-themed e-vites.
2. Encourage guests to dress as their favorite character or celebrity. Have you always wanted to personify Ernest Hemmingway? (Thank you, Midnight in Paris.) Looking for an excuse to bust out the evening gown? This is it. You can also provide some props or accessories for people to wear at the party.
3. Download Oscar ballots here and have your guests fill them out at the beginning of the party. You can invite people to enter money in a pool, or you can award a prize to the winner. You can also use your top rated tablet to follow along with the official Oscars app, which will keep track of your predictions and let you compete with other friends (who couldn’t make it to the party).
4. Roll out a red carpet (or a runner) at the front door. Ask your guests to strike a pose when they enter, and take their picture with your digital camera.
5. Serve fancy drinks and a variety of small appetizers. Check out the official Oscar party kit for some unique cocktail and appetizer recipes.
Are you hosting an Oscar party this year? Share your own tips in the comments.